ISO of a copywriter who believes a good idea and clever turn of phrase can still spark revolutions.
idfive is an agency committed to doing good for clients who do good. And we could use some company.
We’re looking for a copywriter. Two to four-ish years experience in an agency or client side. Ambitious as hell. Comfortable in web, print, and video. Interested in doing big and small things for education, health, non-profits and brands that don’t make you feel bad in those moments just before you drift off to sleep, questioning whether your work matters.
No crushing egos. And no “I’ll give copywriting a go” types; we appreciate the moxy, but we need someone who’s been to the dance before.
The ideal candidate will ultimately work in-house and full-time at our Baltimore office.
Duties & Responsibilities
- You're able to dissect what makes a headline work for one audience and fail for another.
- You're willing to take a stand on issues of great import, such as epicene third person singular pronouns. No cowards.
- You have a nagging pang to work alongside creative directors, art directors, designers, developers and, yes, an account person or two—because that's what it takes to create messages that matter.
- You're comfortable having your word-babies run the cruel gauntlet of internal and client approval, knowing that most won't emerge on the other side.
- You can write copy for all channels and purposes—a web site one minute, a branded essay the next, and brilliant headlines for days.
- You embrace the creative challenge that comes with SEO.
- You can make conceptual connections that make others tilt their heads like puppies.
- You dig deep to understand audiences—what they say they want, what they really want, and what's stopping them from taking action.
- You can present your ideas coherently, dynamically, and believably.
- A genuine desire to do good for clients who do good.
- A bachelor's and/or master's degree in one (or, hell, all of the following): English, writing, psychology, advertising, marketing, language, literature, liberal arts. Or you're Ernest Hemingway.
- Two to four years of true copywriting experience. Or a portfolio that fools us into thinking you have it.
- A sophisticated and thorough grasp of the English language, grammar, mechanics, and argument construction.
- Not a jerk, doodyhead, or second-coming of Faulkner who's simply biding their time for something bigger.
- Passionate about modern advertising and its ability to make a big ol' boot print on our social consciousness.
- Not interested in being the coolest kid in the room—just the smartest and most clever.
- A body of work that shows a range of voice, strategy, and tactics.
- Willingness to erase the phrase "That's not my job" from your vocabulary.
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits including excellent health, vision and dental coverage, stipends for mass transit, tuition remission, and quarterly bonuses. idfive also offers 401K participation. Just as we’d ask any client for a budget, we ask that you submit your salary requirements (not history) to be considered for the position.
idfive has been named a best place to work by Baltimore Magazine, nominated by the Baltimore Business Journal as a Best Place to Work, awarded for its company culture by SmartCEO and was added to the 2017 Inc 5,000 List of America’s Fastest Growing Companies.
To apply, please send a résumé, cover letter, salary requirement, contact information, and portfolio link.