Associate Creative Director
Think, Strategize, Teach, Create.
idfive is an agency committed to doing good for clients on a mission. And we could use some company. We’re looking for an Associate Creative Director. Experience in agency or client-side. Ambitious as hell. Comfortable in web, print, and video. Interested in doing big and small things for education, health, nonprofits, and brands that don’t make you feel bad in those moments just before you drift off to sleep, questioning whether your work matters.
No crushing egos. And no “I’ll give the creative department a go” types; we appreciate the moxy, but we need someone who’s been to the dance before. The ideal candidate will ultimately work in-house and full-time at our Baltimore office once we get past all these COVID shenanigans.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Dissect what makes an idea work for one audience and fail for another.
- Take a stand on issues of great importance, such as epicene third-person singular pronouns or Sketch vs. XD. No cowards.
- You have a nagging pang to work alongside art directors, copywriters, designers, developers, and, yes, an account person or two — because that’s what it takes to create messages that matter.
- You’re comfortable having your idea-babies run the cruel gauntlet of internal and client approval, knowing that most won’t emerge on the other side.
- You can work in all channels and for all purposes — a website one minute, a branded experience the next, and brilliant tactics for days.
- You embrace the creative challenge that comes with SEO.
- You can make conceptual connections that make others tilt their heads like puppies.
- You dig deep to understand audiences — what they say they want, what they really want, and what’s stopping them from taking action.
- You can present your ideas coherently, dynamically, and believably.
- Dream up exceptional digital and offline ideas—awake or in your sleep.
- Passionately lead the creative team’s tactical execution.
- Lead conceptual thinking. We like to whiteboard. A lot. Even when there is no whiteboard. Kiss our ass, Covid.
- “Sell” work to clients. Make them love you, make them love the ideas.
- Work independently and collaborate with team members.
- Pick up projects that weren’t yours and carry them on your back to the finish line. Collaboration is a prerequisite.
- Follow a quality control process on all projects. No sloppy-sloppy.
- Get your hands in the guts of production from time to time. Since we are a small agency, we all pitch in work as needed.
- 7+ years of experience in print and digital design or copywriting; 3+ of those years leading a creative team.
- Not a jerk or someone who’s simply biding their time for something bigger.
- Passionate about modern advertising and its ability to make a big ol’ boot print on our social consciousness.
- Not interested in being the coolest kid in the room — just the smartest and most clever.
- A body of work that shows a range of voice, strategy, and tactics.
- Willingness to erase the phrase “That’s not my job” from your vocabulary.
- Ability to stay cool under a start-up level speed-to-market. You embrace thinking fast, iterating smart, and delivering like a total boss.
- Understanding of typography, layout & composition, and color theory.
- Accountable to your team, your work, and yourself.
- Able to make a case for innovation and new ideas: Enhance our processes, tell us when shit is broken, and bring solutions to make it all better.
- Values integrity, mutual respect, and a strong work ethic.
- Thrives in a flexible and easygoing work environment that sometimes can go all Mr. Hyde when the deadlines hit. We expect everyone at idfive to work hard and meet deadlines. There is nowhere to hide here.
- Well-versed in marketing, advertising, and design strategy.
- Excellent communication, writing, and problem-solving skills.
- Working knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, and Indesign.
- Familiarity with Invision, CSS/HTML, UX skills is a plus.
This is a full-time position with the following benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Company-paid short-term disability plan
- Company-paid life insurance policy (with the option to purchase additional coverage)
- Vacation and sick/personal leave
- Paid holidays
- Paid birthday day off
- A company-paid monthly pass for Maryland Transit Authority
- 401K plan
- Profit-sharing plan
- Flexible spending accounts
- Tuition reimbursement program